Wednesday, October 13, 2010

in your daddy's arms again

I am one of those suckers who believes in the afterlife and spirits and getting visited from those who have passed on.

A month before my dad died, we had been on a beautiful cruise together. While waiting for our delayed flight back home, and then again on the flight home, my technology challenged father played solitaire on my smartphone until the battery died.

The day my dad died, when I finally left my parents house and was driving home, I looked down at my phone, and that solitaire game was ON the phone. There was no reason for it to be on, I didn’t do it, and there was no doubt in my mind that it was my dad.

So for one year and nine months, I’ve been waiting for my dad to ‘visit’ me again. He’s been known to leave dimes around. My nephew has found a few at weird times, like right before getting ready to wrestle; he has found one on the mat. I found one stuck to my skin when I woke up in Paris (a Euro no less), and my mom found one right when we got in the cab upon arrival in Paris. We have a lot of dime stories.



But.....
But, I’ve been looking for something bigger.

It happened this morning.

I did my morning routing: went to the gym, emptied the cat box, yoga sun salutations, crunches, and morning meditation. After I got up from meditation, I put my iPhone on the table (I used an app for meditation), and went to the kitchen. After a few moments, I heard music. I thought it was from outside; it wasn’t. My iPhone went into its iPod app (NOT the app I use for meditation) and was playing a song. I immediately knew it was my dad. There was no question in my mind. So, I sat and listened to the song that was playing. It was Peter Gabriel’s “Mercy Street”. I thought the song choice was strange, I thought for sure he would play a selection from Chicago or the Doobie Brothers. So, I listened closely because there had to be a reason for this particular song. When I heard the chorus, I cried.

dreaming of mercy st.
wear your inside out
dreaming of mercy
in your daddy's arms again
dreaming of mercy st.
'swear they moved that sign
dreaming of mercy
in your daddy's arms


Thank you, dad.  I love you and there is no place I'd rather be than in your arms.


9 comments:

  1. I have chills and am smiling all at the same time:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Gnat! I'm so glad that he visited you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing Nat. Thanks for sharing! You brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my favorite blog yet. I'm glad this happened to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This seriously made me tear up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, am now bawling my eyes out at work. Oh, sweetie. The love radiates from your words!

    Am now pulling up Peter Gabriel on the iPhone...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Got goosebumps and my eyes started tearing up. Thanks for sharing--what a special moment and what a wonderful experience! Hugs...dc

    ReplyDelete