Tuesday, December 7, 2010

community (#reverb 10)

Reverb 10 is an annual event and online initiative to reflect on your year and manifest what’s next. Use the end of your year as an opportunity to reflect on what's happened, and to send out reverberations for the year ahead. With Reverb 10 - and the 31 prompts our authors have created for you - you'll have support on your journey.

December 7 – Community


Prompt: Community. Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011?


(Author: Cali Harris)

I may be late, but I am FINALLY joining the reverb party.

In 2010, I discovered a couple communities.

This year online I discovered Mondo Beyondo and the magic that is dreaming big. Through Mondo Beyondo,  I met some great friends like Laura and The Great Askini. I’ve also scratched the surface of my creative self with the help of Vivienne and You Are Your Own Muse.
me tears
Community does not come easy for me. I don’t know why that is, but as I get older I realize how hard it is for me to make new friends. Actually, as I get older, I realize how scared I am of people in general. That is so weird to admit.

For instance, I am in need of a part time job, but the thought of working someplace where there is even the slightest chance of having to deal with a disgruntled customer has me running for the hills. There is a new market opening in my neighborhood in a few months, and I thought I could apply there, but to be a cashier or other front line worker where someone might be displeased about something FREAKS ME OUT. I don’t know, maybe it is conflict that petrifies and not so much *people*. Nah, I think it truly is people. One on one is very difficult, I mean, what if I run out of things to talk about?

I have also made deeper connections with a few friends that I have known for over 10 years. It began last year and has continued this year. We’ve been getting together at least once a month for years, but finally, something happened, and my connection is deeper, better. And I am thankful, so very thankful for these friends.

As I look to 2011, I hope the new connections I’ve made continue to blossom, and the old connections I have continue to deepen. I am also looking forward to UNRAVELLING.

4 comments:

  1. Well.... if you run out of things to talk about, there is another person there that can talk. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is be quiet and listen, truly listen.

    I am glad you are part of my community. Hard to explain, but I have never really had a large female friend base. Motherhood has opened that for me, as I see how much I need other women and the more I give, the more I get back.

    Til January!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Nat! And working with the public isn't fun...I still have nightmares from college/high school...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a job you might be interested in -- I will email it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do think as you age it does become harder...maybe because there is less people to drink with...me I think I'm just tired and old...

    ReplyDelete