Friday, December 10, 2010

wisdom (#reverb10)

Reverb 10 is an annual event and online initiative to reflect on your year and manifest what’s next. Use the end of your year as an opportunity to reflect on what's happened, and to send out reverberations for the year ahead. With Reverb 10 - and the 31 prompts our authors have created for you - you'll have support on your journey.


Prompt: Wisdom. What was the wisest decision you made this year, and how did it play out?
Author: Susannah Conway
I've been thinking about this prompt for a few hours now, and nothing really life changing is coming to mind.  I mean, it was a great decision to quit smoking crack, but that's not really life changing (JOKING!).  And it's not like I had to decide which daycare to send my animals to or anything.  I did decide to lose 40 pounds this year, but it didn't happen, so umm, yeah, not such a great decision.  A great decision would have been to purchase 5 more pairs of red shoes, but it wasn't in the budget.  So, my 'wisdom' for the year might be a bit lame, but it's brought me some joy and fun throughout the year.
My best decision was to learn how to shoot in manual mode on my camera and to get the 50mm 1.8 prime lens (very affordable).  Both of those really changed the way I take pictures.  I've always loved photography and admired the emotions photographers can make me feel with their photos.  
I started the year with a short on-line class from Big Picture.  It got me away from shooting on auto and to take a bit more control with my photos.  Later in the year, I purchased the UNmanual from Mom*tog, and that was a great next step for me.

IMG_3842
IMG_3438


I try to include photos in my blogposts because there is a reason I am an accountant:  I ain't no writer.  So, my thought is that I can make my posts a tiny bit more interesting by including a photo.  

I also took Vivienne McMaster's You Are Your Own Muse this year in which I learned to turn the camera on myself and use things like remotes and textures.
 I am hoping to learn a lot more about photography and to exercise my atrophied creative muscles in 2011.  I may even take a real, live photography class.  What a novel idea!

1 comment:

  1. Let me challenge you to PLEASE take an in-person class in 2011! I took an in-person class this year and it was so inspiring. Just to sit and talk photography and critique photos...I feel like my photography grew leaps and bounds after that experience.

    I was putting together a calendar for the grandparents and I looked through my photos. There is a huge improvement right around August when I took the class. I couldn't miss it.

    ReplyDelete