Friday, August 19, 2011

Northerly Island

Northerly Island is a beautiful secret. Ignacio and I love to bike ride through the trails. It’s prairie, it’s lakefront, it’s cityscape, it’s magical.

untitled-97.jpg
untitled-99.jpg
untitled-102.jpg
I can’t remember how many years ago, but Northerly Island used to be an airport called Miegs Field; a small airport in downtown Chicago, right on the lakefront. Mayor Daley fought for years to shut it down. One day, in the middle of the night, Mayor Daley had huge “x’s” bulldozed onto the runway. No one could land or takeoff the following day. Miegs Field was done. It was so secret mission like, and for some reason, the whole episode just cracked me up. The Mayor then had Miegs Field turned into this sort of park.
untitled-106.jpg
There is also a small music venue at the beginning of the park. It’s an amazing venue, with the lake behind you, and the skyline in front of you. We’ve seen Chicago and the Doobie Brothers there more than once. Now, that concert, in that venue, brought me to my knees. “Saturday, in the park…..”
untitled-111.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I like to see you out there with your camera!

    He tore up Meggs Field when I still lived there, so awesome it is a park now. That is power for you!!

    ReplyDelete